Saturday, August 2, 2008

Speckeled King Snake





Today I just got back from a vacation in California. If you live in south eastern Louisiana you know its been raining constantly lately. I woke up early this morning to check the roads and the trace. The first thing I encountered was a dead speckeled kingsnake. What a disheartening site. One of my favorite snakes of Louisiana. Usually what happens after a hard rain is snakes have to exit there usual hiding places and find higher ground so there actively crossing busy streets. This is a deadly combination. So please be careful when driving after a hard rain. The next thing I saw made my summer a 2 3/4 ft speckeled kingsnake. He was on the side of the ditch on the trace. I spotted him then he spotted me. I actually froze for a minute or at least it felt that long. When you find something that you've been looking for, for so long its a great feeling. I regained my senses after he took off . I was not going to let this snake go at all costs. So without hesitation I was in the ditch after him. I scoped him up and that was it. He was a very calm snake not ever trying to bite. The king snake is a wonderful species. He is a constrictor growing to great lengths. Its got a reputation for eating poisonous snakes and this is true. But its not its main source of prey. Mostly king snakes eat mice and rats.

2 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

Nice blog! We seem to have some similar content (I'm in Abita Springs...don't know if you might be nearby.) My husband got a few photos of a southern black racer in our backyard this morning. (I also got some shots of raccoons in our yard recently, as well.) Adding your blog to my Google Reader. Keep up the good work!

predatorpets said...

I appreciate of this blog because it's very helpful and I found there good information about reptiles.
So keep it up!
Reptile heating