Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Black Racer

This is the black racer. You ever wonder what kind of snake it was when you where hikin through the woods and something just shoots off the trail into the underbrush. Well if it was shiny and black most likely it was one of these guys. A remarkebly fast species with a bad temper. Although its not venomous the black racer will often bite vigorously when captured. This fully grown adult was seen here in a bush on the side of a dried up ditch. When I tried to capture him he took off through the woods. It was a long chase. I was within inches of grabbing him a couple of times, but I had no luck. First, he shot up a small oak covered in thorns. Then he hit the ground running through poison ivy and briar. I stayed with him for a while until I lost him in a large thorn bush. Sorry yall I tried my best but theres gonna be no exact measurements for this guy. I would have to guess he was right at 2, 2 1/2ft. If you encounter one of these snakes or aren't quite sure if its a racer or not, some noticeable features are the dark irisis, also when fully grown they'll be a shiny black coloration, when juvenile they will have a slight pattern, another characteristic is at first they will usually retreat into a tree, and most likely if caught it will bite. Well good luck and check soon for the newest capture!

1 comment:

crystal said...

I swim in our pond daily. aw my 1st snake today. It was striped green and yellow. the stripes went the length of his body. I'm from Michigan, 1st summer here. Are all the water snakes posinous? What to do if I get biten? I like swimming in the pond. The pond is 30-40 feet deep.